Earlier this year, I took a sewing class & thoroughly enjoyed it. I have wanted to sew for a long time, and over the past couple of years, the desire grew steadily. Finally, I gave in, and kept it in prayer and meditation. I refused, however, to put myself in economic danger, so I was waiting for a miracle, even if it was only $60. Christmas came and one of my gifts was 3 $20 bills. Oh yeah - it went straight to the cost of the class. I took the class, making pajama pants and a pillowcase, and I fell in love. The experience of sewing centered me in a way I didn't expect, and I love the bragging rights that come from finishing a project.
A couple of months ago, my dear friends Dick and Betty gave me a sewing machine quite unexpectedly. I love it. It is older and fully manual (but electric). When I say fully manual, I mean I have to change the discs in order to change stitches! Isn't that great?! It is also heavier than a paper weight so I know that I won't easily break it. Dick and Betty - Thank you again for such a beautiful and kind gift.
I know my "new" Singer had been sitting dormant for a while, and I know so little about machines, I decided to have it tuned up before I began messing with it just in case something needed to be adjusted. The Quiet Voice prodded me to visit my favorite local sewing shop, Sewingly Yours in Lewisville, this past Saturday. I hadn't visited in a while, and it was nice to be remembered. I took care of the immediate question - when can I come in for a Sit-N-Sew session? - then as what seemed to be an afterthought, I asked about machine tune-up pricing. To my surprise and delight, they are running a special in July, $20 off. Again, God's got my back on my desire for sewing.
I should be able to pick it up this week, just in time to take it with me when I visit my friend Chandra in Virginia Beach, VA. I hope to make a skirt or two this weekend, then start on the baby quilt kit my Aunt Janet gave me in June. Yea!!
Monday, July 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Hi girl. Love the fact that you picked up sewing... Are you on Facebook? You can link your blog to facebook so we can receive updates :)
Love you!
No. No Facebook. Don't want it. I've got e-mail and blogs. That be plenty for me. But, thank you to all who have invited me!
I think, though, the same effect can be achieved by becoming a follower of this blog. Think about it. =:]
Tell me the name of your Singer. Is it a featherweight--and if it has a serial number on the bottom I can look it up for you. Post a photo. How fun. I am excited to see you quilting! Sewing clothes will be fun too. Soon you will be working in the quilt/fabric store! Teaching classes.
Post a Comment