Sunday, February 28, 2010

October Sky

A friend of mine is a friend of the main character, Homer, so I wanted to see the film again. I saw it in the theatre when it was released, and many of my comments are the same.

Chris Cooper is a fantastic character actor. If I remember correctly, this was the film that made me take serious notice.
Regretably, there are some poor editorial choices, and I'm not sure if that was a result of directorial/coverage choices or editing room choices, but there are at least two cuts that left me so jarred that is my primary technical comment about the film.
Mark Isham did a fantastic job on the score. It is more orchestral than is typical for him.
Lastly, the message is such an important one, I highly recommend this film to anyone looking for inspiration and a tale about what pursuing your dreams can amount to. Remember, this is a TRUE STORY, and I recommend it for anyone, but especially for teens. It takes a village to raise a child, for sure, and this story reminds us that it also takes a village to pursue a dream.

Rating:
4 stars for theme, content, and family-friendliness

Recommend:
Absolutely. And you don't have to be a rocket scientist to enjoy it.

1 comment:

Susan said...

Is this quite an old movie? I'm pretty sure I've seen it. Thanks for the reminder, we'll definitely have to check it out with TnT