Sunday, February 7, 2010

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

I can sum up my opinion of this film in one word. I know it's hard to believe, but it's true.

Elegant.

This script was based on the F. Scott Fitzgerald story, which can be found in his collection of short stories called Tales from the Jazz Age. I've since read the actual story, and I am amazed at Eric Roth's ability to craft a modern story from it. It is new and old, just like our main character, and Roth was able to navigate the social minefields of the original story and our time effortlessly. While the script is not perfect, there are some holes and less tight sequences, it is sublime when you see from whence the story came. Fitzgerald's story is an interesting commentary on the relationship between North and South at a time when it was still a hot topic. Roth in turn takes the dichotomies of Fitzgerald's story and creates a new commentary, one on what it's like to be young, to be old, to be human.

But that's not what makes this film so elegant. The acting, direction, cinematography, production design, costumes, and, of course, makeup create a film that leaves you with only one word in your mind: elegant.

Interesting. I just caught part of a review on IMDb. Apparently I'm not the only one who considers this film elegant.

Number of stars:
3.5 of 5

Recommend:
Yes. The PG-13 rating is accurate due to the very adult and deep life themes, but don't let that scare you. It is not violent or inappropriately graphic.

No comments: