I saw Juno earlier this week, and it was much better than I'd expected. Ellen Page's ability to give nuance to an experience as complicated as teenage pregnancy was inspiring. While the film began with dialogue that alienated me, it transitioned into regular speak-fast enough that I was able to forgive the opening scenes. The direction was well executed and unpretentious, and the editing was well done. What do I mean? I mean I didn't notice any cuts. I didn't wonder what they were thinking. This is a plus these days.
I must say, however, in the area of screenwriting, I don't feel it was so spectacular as to win the Oscar. I've seen films with better twists and turns, stronger dialogue, and more developed situations and characters. Films that challenge the viewer yet don't ostrasize. Good Night and Good Luck and Stranger Than Fiction are two films that come to mind that I felt were more well crafted in the area of screenwriting. That said, to take on a topic as taboo and controversial as teenage pregnancy and have it not be a preachy film is an accomplishment. Perhaps, then, it was for that reason the film was recognized by The Academy.
What is my rating on this film?
3.5 out of 5 stars.
Do I recommend it?
Yes. I think this film does an excellent job of addressing important issues, but doesn't preach or belabor them. And, it is a great catalyst to talk about a very complicated issue.
Tuesday, September 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment