Today is the Feast of the Ascension, the day that Jesus was raised into heaven by way of a cloud. It is also the second time there are human witnesses to him being flanked by Moses and Elijah. And it is one of my favorite images in Catholic/Christian tradition.
I love it because of the passage that says that Jesus will come again in the way that He ascended. On the one hand, that means He will appear with a cloud, more than likely with companions by His side. On the other hand, it means that no matter what comes at me, it's not the end of the world. Unless, of course, Jesus is descending in a cloud. And if He is, then whatever trouble I think I'm facing becomes instantaneously overshadowed.
Today was a big day in the life of this humbled writer. Today was the day that ugliness came at me with force, and I expressed my displeasure and frustration back at it. I don't like how I behaved, but I have no regrets about having expressed myself. I have a sense of peace. Because the place from which the ugliness came isn't where I'm supposed to be, what I'm supposed to be doing. It'll all be okay. There may be hardship ahead, but this ugliness hasn't stripped me of my hope. And, for a recovering "hopeless" person, that's big.
May today's feast not just last until Sunday, when The Church commemorates this significant day in our faith, but throughout the year. Because Jesus is risen - twice! We have nothing to fear. Not even fear itself.
mg
Thursday, May 1, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Mollie,
I didn't read this post until after you left this weekend. It was so great to see you! It was so busy and I wished we could have talked more! You have so many upcoming changes. What an exciting adventure!
Loved having you out here for your Dad's wedding. It is always a joy to have you around at family gatherings! Keep that chin up and continue to be happy.
Post a Comment